EVENTS & TRAINING
Mindfulness for Primary School Classroom Teachers
One-day Professional Development Training
Five hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered PD addressing 4.1.2, 4.4.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Professional Development in teaching classroom Mindfulness for students of all ages and stages. Mindfulness supports SEL and the PDHPE Curriculum. It increases students’ cognitive and physiological control of top-down brain processes and decreases bottom-up stress and anxiety. By increasing emotional control, self-regulation and optimism, students develop the basis for resilience, opening up new behavioural choices.
The training course provides systematic and explicit training in the theory of Mindfulness and a variety of positive and engaging practices and activities suitable for students of all ages and stages. Mindfulness supports SEL and the PDHPE Curriculum to increase students’ cognitive and physiological control, decrease stress and anxiety, increase emotional control, self-regulation and optimism, giving students a basis for resilience and the resourceful management of their lives.
The five sessions cover:
1. Introduction to Mindfulness in Theory and Practice: the Mindfulness Triangle Model, based on current neuroscience, and its applications in school-based mindfulness programs.
2. Engaging student of all ages and stages, including students with special needs, in a variety of short, interesting and fun activities which can be integrated into normal classroom lessons.
3. Mindfulness, SEL and the PDHPE Curriculum: Mindfulness practices for increasing emotional intelligence through understanding and valuing oneself and others.
4. Leading the Core Mindfulness Practices: based on Breath, Body and Movement, and scheduling these in your classroom.
5. Developing Positivity and Wellbeing through Mindfulness: research based classroom activities to develop positive qualities such as kindness, generosity and appreciation, supporting the Wellbeing Framework for Schools.
“When we need to calm down, settle in, and focus, Mindfulness helps. It’s also helped my 2nd graders understand their own behaviors and emotions. We can discuss the different ways we’d respond to something disturbing, sad, or stressful using the brain, and help them understand why we sometimes react the way we do.”
Follow up in-classroom demonstration lessons of up to an hour are available for $70 per class.
Trainers: Bobbi Allan & Shakti Burke, Mindfulness in Education.
Bobbi and Shakti are both experienced teachers of Mindfulness. They launched Mindfulness in Education in the NSW Northern Rivers in 2012 and have since presented this training to over 200 teachers, and provided follow-up classroom lessons to hundreds of students in local schools and early childhood services.
Information & registration:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 0428 886 147
DOWNLOAD 2020 FLYER
DOWNLOAD 2020 REGISTRATION FORM
Mindfulness for Primary School Teachers addresses descriptors 4.1.2, 4.4.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
4.1.2 Establish and implement inclusive and positive interactions to engage and support all students in classroom activities.
4.4.2 Ensure students' wellbeing and safety within school by implementing school and/or system, curriculum and legislative requirements.
6.2.2 Participate in learning to update knowledge and practice targeted to professional needs and school and /or system priorities.